Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2009

passing of a stranger

"Excuse me. Can I speak? Thank you.

I'm sorry to interrupt the proceedings. I didn't know A at all, I have probably met him two or three times in the time i have worked at here. however, i feel like i know him through his work, through the 500 buildings he's designed across Pakistan.

my first day at tbc i went to yousuf sahib khan goth an hour so out of karachi. we were on this road destroyed by wheel deep sewage, and then we turned off into the jharis. there was matti everywhere, all sand no buildings for as far as the eye could see. there was a building in the distance, and because there was no road to speak off, we were making our way through the bushes any way we pleased.

i got off once we reached the site, and a blast of desert air hit me. the sky was blue, it was very hot. and in front of me was this stunning - no breathtaking - beautiful four story bright red building. rising out of the desert where there was nothing for miles.

next to it were some very small mud huts, and a few children in uniform were nearby.

i couldn't speak. to have this amazing piece of architecture here. it spoke of love. every wall, every curve of the staircase, every piece of tile. it spoke so much of how much he has left behind, so for those loved ones today, I would urge you to think of all the wealth he left behind, the long lasting legacy, and be re-assured that he will live on in his work. Thank you.

No comments: