Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Silence. Comfort. Three people watching the glimmering waves crash to shore, recede, then crash again. A few people strolling in the shimmering sand, silhouettes blurring with the reflection of the sun. 6 boats at the horizon. A beautiful line of electricity poles behind me arching, merging into one silent grey smudge into the far distance. From the haze rise some buildings, hopes of construction, perfect ridges to the sky line. The aria in the background perfect. Everything perfect. I sat with them, and for the first time since I left for college 6 years ago my mind was at peace. We shared a couple of old memories, laughed at a couple of jokes, told each other stories we’d forgotten. And we prolonged our eating, our food, our time sitting there, because we knew that whatever our lives, whatever our differences, this is what families are about and this is the oasis where we must shelter and seek nourishment. I return, a little stronger, glad that I touched upon happiness.

******************************

It was the nicest afternoon. Woke up, had a great talk with N after the longest time, ate the best strawberries after a long time, then went grocery shopping at my favorite supermarket where the prime commodities purchased included brie (yummy), special K, and croissants for tomorrows breakfast. Then we went to the drivethrough, then stopped at really secluded spot that looked out at the sea. We sat there, the perfect amount of silent and conversation, absolutely comfortable, absolutely RIGHT. This is what I look for in all my socializing, this is what I find lacking. This is what I wish I could have with others my age, with others I interact with. Intelligence, wit, humor, unconditional love. By asking for nothing from them, do I ask too much of myself?

No comments: