Search This Blog

Saturday, April 23, 2005

strange

i went to a jewellery store to check out some stuff, and accidently walked out with a sample diamond bracelet worth 2 lacs or so.
no alarm bells went off, in fact, i strolled through two armed guards and three triple locked doors to get out.

i didn't notice it till half an hour later on the other side of the city.

i realized i had picked up an extra trinket, freaked out, like, FREAKED OUT. i cannot explain the utter horror, embarassment and panic i felt when i saw those rocks calmly nestled in my watch and wrist band type thingies i wear. my heart stopped, my vision shrank to the blinding glitter of 10 pointers. my first instinct was to rip it off and THROW it out the first window because of the sheer embarassment at having been such an idiot. i SHOT up from the chair i was sitting in, upsetting the second jeweller i was at. i immediately wanted to return as FAST as i could so i could get the damn thing off my hands ASAP. my mother stuck around to finish the deal with the second guy while my heart literally stopped in horror as i paced up and down the lobby. i DRAGGED my mother to the car, and drove as FAST as i could back to where we had come from. i was furious at that idiot man at the store for not noticing the bloody thing on me. the irresponsibility! the gall at putting me through the humiliation! the EMBARASSMENT. the STUPIDITY.

i got to the store, practically ran in, overwrought with emotional turmoil, and the jewellery guy is totally unfazed. he hadn't even noticed it was missing. he smiled, calmly took the bracelet, and looked at my freaked out expression and said "don't worry madam, hota hai ".

my mother just looked at me extremely amused by the strange strange daughter she'd raised.

i'm not strange! THEY'RE STRANGE!! karachi is strange!!!!

it never even occured to me to keep the damn thing. maybe i AM strange.

4 comments:

Phitaymaun said...

Haha, I apologize in advance for what i'm about to say:
LOSER!!!!

ahem, okay no you did the right thing, but just imagine the rumor mill you surrendered by being honest and forthright and all the good stuff.
Tsk Tsk, whats this worls coming to when young women fail to keep divine gifts.

Kudos!

G said...

lol, you know u wanted it. tis in (woe)man's nature to covet. my precioussssss.....

PS: yeah i know, very duh.

Ent said...

yessss preciousssssssssss
sorry. can't help it. read the books eleven times

mutts said...

thats refreshing